Situational Crime Prevention as a Kind of Criminological Crime Prevention
The article raises the problem of situational crime prevention as a type of criminological crime prevention. The urgency of issues related to situational crime prevention, which is aimed at eliminating conditions directly facilitating crimes, has been substantiated. One of the most effective ways to prevent criminal acts is to eliminate provocations and reduce the possibilities for committing crimes, that is situational crime prevention. Understanding the expected and predictable algorithm of the criminal's actions to commit a crime can be successfully used to develop certain measures that eliminate the possibility of committing a crime and thereby prevent it. Situational crime prevention offers very specific methods of crime prevention that are currently being studied and theorized by progressive criminologists. Particular attention is paid to new theoretical directions in this area, such as identifying the places most susceptible to crime, calculating the algorithm for the actions of criminals and determining the places, routes, the time when criminals gather or carry out their criminal activities. Detailed knowledge of this information gives an idea of where and at what moment police officers can intervene to repress the crime, or take the necessary advance actions to prevent the crime. This method is based on focusing on the place and time of the crime. Crime is never completely random, criminal events and criminal behavior are shaped according to a specific time and place. Thus, the essence of the theory of situational crime prevention is to eliminate provocations, reduce the possibilities of committing crimes and conditions facilitating crimes. Its main purpose is situational crime prevention or security measures.
- Beccaria Ch. O prestupleniyah i nakazaniyah [On Crimes and Punishments]. Moscow, Infra-M , 2008, 184 p.
- Bentham I. Vvedenie v osnovaniya nravstvennosti i zakonodatelstva [An introduction to the principles of morals and legislation]. Moscow, ROSSPEN Publ., 1998, 415 p.
- Gurinskaya A.L. Razvitiye teorii ratsionalnogo vybora v zarubezhnoy kriminologii i eye vliyaniye na ugolovnuyu politiku [Development of the theory of rational choice in foreign criminology and its impact on criminal policy]. Izvestiya Rossiyskogo gosudarstvennogo pedagogicheskogo universiteta imeni A.I. Gertsena, 2010, no. 120, pp. 203–216.
- Kosarev M.N. Tendentsii sovremennoi prestupnosti [Modern crime trends]. Viktimologiya, 2020, no. 3(25), pp. 8–11.
- Kudryavtsev V.N., Eminov V.E., eds. 5-e izd., pererab. i dop. [Criminology: textbook. 5th ed.]. Moscow, Yurist Publ., 2014, 800 p.
- Papkin A.I. Sovremennaya kriminal`naya viktimologiya [Modern criminal victimology]. Domodedovo: VIPK MVD Rossii, 2006. 157 p.
- Schneider H.J. Kriminologie. Berlin, de Gruyter, 1987, 969 S. (Russ. ed.: Kriminologiya. Moscow, Progress-Univers Publ., 1994, 502 p.).
- Kuzmin Yury A.
- Senior Lecturer of Criminal Law Department, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (email@example.com; )
Kuzmin Yu.A. Situational Crime Prevention as a Kind of Criminological Crime Prevention [Electronic resource] // Oeconomia et Jus. – 2021. – №3. P. 59-66. – URL: http://oecomia-et-jus.ru/en/single/2021/3/8/. DOI: 10.47026/2499-9636-2021-3-59-66.