Identity Theft (Criminological Aspect)
The problem of illegal unlawful personal data obtaining is updated. The offence involves the “appropriation of identity” of another individual most commonly for the purpose of personal gain. Personal data that the perpetrator encroaches on may represent various kinds of information. The relevance of issues related to committing the most common methods of identity theft is substantiated. The urgency of the research is caused by the fact that identity theft is becoming an increasing problem around the world; criminals are in-venting more and more ways to obtain the information needed to steal personal data that they use for the purpose of committing different crimes. As a result of the perpetrators' use of personal data, the consequences for the victim can be very serious. The victim's stolen identity creates anonymity for criminals and terrorists and poses a threat to both the national security and for private individuals. The problem of preventing identity theft is to minimize the possibility of personal data stealing by lawbreakers, to prevent their illegal seizure. Here, it is important to remember elementary security and safety considerations. Various ways of preventing illegal unlawful seizure of personal data are analyzed.
- Dolya A. Intsidentyi vnutrenney IT-bezopasnosti: itogi goda [Incidents of internal IT security: results of the year]. Informatsionnaya bezopasnost, 2007, no. 2, pp. 26–29. Available at: www.itsec.ru/articles2/research/incidenti_vnutrennei_it-bezopasnosti.
- Zagorodnikov S.N., Shmelev A.A. Osnovyi informatsionnogo prava [Fundamentals of Information Law]. Moscow, Akademicheskiy Proekt Publ., 2016, 192 p.
- Kasaev I.H. Etnicheskiy aspekt v kompyuternoy prestupnosti [Ethnic aspect in computer crime]. Informatsionnaya bezopasnost i kompyuternyie tehnologii v deyatelnosti pravoohranitelnyih organov, 2010, no. 8, pp. 67–71.
- Kudryavtsev V.N., Eminov V.E., eds. 5-e izd., pererab. i dop. [Criminology: textbook. 5th ed.]. Moscow, Yurist Publ., 2014, 800 p.
- Kurakov L.P., Smirnov S.N. Informatsiya kak ob’ekt pravovoy zaschityi [Information as an object of legal protection]. Moscow, Gelios Publ., 1999, 239 p.
- Novikov V.K. Organizatsionno-pravovyie osnovyi informatsionnoy bezopasnosti (zaschityi informatsii). Yuridicheskaya otvetstvennost za pravonarusheniya. Uchebnoe posobie [The legal framework of information security (information security). Legal liability for offenses. Tutorial]. Moscow, Goryachaya liniya-Telekom Publ., 2015, 178 p.
- Kuzmin Yury A.
- Senior Lecturer of Criminal Law Department, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (email@example.com; )
Kuzmin Yu.A. Identity Theft (Criminological Aspect) [Electronic resource] // Oeconomia et Jus. – 2020. – №3. P. 48-57. – URL: http://oecomia-et-jus.ru/en/single/2020/3/5/. DOI: 10.47026/2499-9636-2020-3-48-57.