Kozhina T.N., Petukhov A.V.
Modern Institutional and Legal Mechanisms of Fiscal Federalism: a Comparative Analysis
The article analyzes the tools and mechanisms of the Russian budget system used in the context of the global economic crisis and pandemic. A synchronous comparative analysis applied to the mechanisms and institutions of state-territorial administration in foreign federations was used as a research method. Under normal circumstances, ensuring a high degree of vertical coordination of the budget process implies special attention to its constitutional, legal and administrative aspects. However, in extreme circumstances, the need for quick decisions and urgent measures exacerbates the problems of vertical coordination and can subsequently result in deterioration in the quality of public services provided. Based on the study of actual data and analytical studies, general and special problems of the budget process in the federal states are identified. The necessary institutional and legal changes are identified to address such socio-economic problems as reorganization of health care and overcoming social poverty. The ways of solving these problems in the framework of various models of the budget process federal management are considered. The relevance of a comparative analysis of budget federalism mechanisms is due to the fact that centralized methods of the budget process prevail in the Russian budget system today, with obvious asymmetry in the subjects' economic development. The economic crisis has increased the imbalance between the donor and recipient regions. That is why at present, improving the mechanisms for inter-budgetary alignment, the search for optimal institutions of administrative and economic management, taking into account the lessons of the crisis and the experience of foreign countries, attract the attention of researchers from different countries. By comparing traditional institutions and innovations, it is possible to draw conclusions about the specifics of the budget mechanism in the Russian Federation and the goals of its economic policy. When implementing anti-crisis measures, it is of great importance to establish an optimal balance between vertical and horizontal alignment of regional budgets as a strategy for further development of the federation. The analysis of the advantages and disadvantages of decentralized and centralized management makes it possible to identify the most effective institutional and legal mechanisms for influencing socio-economic relations. For present-day Russian economy, the task of increasing the role of regions in the budget policy of the state, taking into accounts their specifics and opportunities for stimulating the economic growth, remains urgent.
- Bondarenko N.V. Regional’nye strategii razvitiya v sisteme gosudarstvennogo sotsi-al’no-ekonomicheskogo regulirovaniya [Regional development strategies in the system of state socio-economic regulation]. Oeconomia et Jus, 2021, no. 1, pp. 13–20. Available at: http://oecomia-et-jus.ru/single/2021/1/2. DOI: 10.47026/2499-9636-2021-1-13-20.
- Burakov N.A., Bukhval’d E.M., Kol’chugina A.V. Ranzhirovanie sub”ektov Rossiiskoi Federatsii na osnove regional’nogo indeksa ekonomicheskogo razvitiya [Ranking of the constituent entities of the Russian Federation based on the regional index of economic development]. Federalizm, 2019, no. 3, pp. 149–171. Available at: https://doi.org/10.21686/2073-1051-2019-3-149-171.
- Lykova L.N. Konsolidirovannye byudzhety sub”ektov Rossiiskoi Federatsii v uslovi-yakh krizisa, sprovotsirovannogo mirovoi pandemiei [Consolidated budgets of the constituent entities of the Russian Federation in the context of the crisis provoked by the global pandemic]. Federalizm, 2020, no. 3, pp. 19–38. Available at: https://doi.org/10.21686/2073-1051-2020-3-19-38.
- Peshina E.V., Strekalova A.A. Fiskal’nyi i byudzhetnyi federalizm: dve sistemy upravleniya publichnymi finansami [Fiscal and Budgetary Federalism: Two Systems of Public Finance Management]. Finansovaya analitika: problemy i resheniya, 2016, no. 11(293). Available at: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/fiskalnyy-i-byudzhetnyy-federalizm-dve-sistemy-upravleniya-publichnymi-finansami.
- Desson Z., Lambertz L., Peters J.W., Falkenbach M., Kauer L. Europe’s Covid-19 outliers: German, Austrian and Swiss policy responses during the early stages of the 2020 pandemic. Health Policy and Technology, 2020, no. 9(4). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hlpt.2020.09.003.
- Biase P. de, Dougherty S. Federalism and public health decentralisation in the time of COVID-19. In: OECD Working Papers on Fiscal Federalism, no. 33. OECD Publishing, Paris, 2021. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1787/b78ec8bb-en (дата обращения: 05.04.2020).
- Downey D.C., Myers W.M. Federalism, Intergovernmental Relationships, and Emergency Response : A Comparison of Australia and the United States. American Review of Public Administration, 2020, no. 50(6–7), рр. 526–535. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0275074020941696.
- Kozhina Tatyana N.
- Candidate of Historical Sciences, Associate Professor, Department of Theory and History of State and Law, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (firstname.lastname@example.org; )
- Petukhov Alexander V.
- Candidate of Historical Sciences, Associate Professor, Department of State and Municipal Administration, Cheboksary Branch of the Russian Academy of National Economy and Public Administration Under the President of the Russian Federation, Russia, Cheboksary (email@example.com; ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-5849-0482)
Kozhina T.N., Petukhov A.V. Modern Institutional and Legal Mechanisms of Fiscal Federalism: a Comparative Analysis [Electronic resource] // Oeconomia et Jus. – 2021. – №2. P. 38-48. – URL: http://oecomia-et-jus.ru/en/single/2021/2/6/. DOI: 10.47026/2499-9636-2021-2-38-48.