Timofeeva T., Aleksandrova N.
Maintenance Obligations: from Antiquity to the Present Day
The article analyses legislation regulating alimony legal relationship from ancient times to the present day and the issues of enforced recovery of alimony. It is revealed that since Ancient Russia the duties of parents, in particular those of the father in a family on material maintenance of the children have been taking a special place in legal relations of parents and children and certain sanctions for violations of these duties were provided throughout all national history. By strengthening sanctions for non-payment of alimony, the state seeks to protect the rights and interests of alimony debtors. The very nature of alimony obligations has also been changed many times throughout its history. The analysis of legislation shows that the main trend in the development of legislation on alimony obligations at all stages of historical development is to follow and comply with the historical realities and the level of social development and the rule of law in a particular historical period. The main purpose of legal regulation in alimony legal relations should remain, first of all, protecting the rights of persons under the age of 16 and adult disabled family members in need of financial assistance. Currently, the mechanism of forced alimony recovery, regulated by the current Russian legislation, is not effective enough, which allows debtors in enforcement proceedings to evade payments.
- Artikul voinskii ot 26 aprelya 1715 g. [Article military. 27 April 1715]. Available at: http://www.hist.msu.ru/ER/Etext/articul.htm.
- Bagdanova T.V. Istoricheskii aspekt stanovleniya i razvitiya zakonodatel’stva, reguliruyushchego poryadok vzyskaniya alimento [Historical aspect of formation and development of the legislation regulating the order of collecting alimony]. Zakonnost’ i pravoporyadok v sovremennom obshchestve [Law and order in modern society], 2010, no. 1, pp. 44–50.
- Vorozheikin E.M. Semeinye pravootnosheniya v SSSR [Family relations in the USSR]. Moscow, Yuridicheskaya literanura Publ., 1972, 336 р.
- Demaeva A. Problemy pravovogo regulirovaniya otnoshenii po uplate i vzyskaniyu alimentov [Problems of legal regulation of relations on payment and recovery of alimony]. Evraziiskii Nauchnyi Zhurnal [Eurasian Scientific Journal], 2016, no. 11. Available at: http://journalpro.ru/ articles/problemy-pravovogo-regulirovaniya-otnosheniy-po-uplate-i-vzyskaniyu-alimentov.
- Svod zakonov Rossiiskoi imperii. T. 10. Svod zakonov grazhdanskikh [Code of civil laws. Vol. 10. Code of civil laws]. St. Petersburg, 1900. Available at: http://civil.consultant.ru/reprint/books/211/1.html.
- Sedunov E.M. Istoriya stanovleniya alimentnogo zakonodatel’stva v Rossiiskoi imperii i SSSR [The history of alimony legislation in the Russian Empire and the USSR]. Moskovskii ekonomicheskii zhurnal [Moscow economic journal], 2015, no. 3. Available at: http://qje.su/biznes-i-pravo/istoriya-stanovleniya-alimentnogo-zakonodatelstva-v-rossijskoj-imperii-i-sssr.
- Timofeeva Tatiana F.
- Candidate of Law Sciences, Associate Professor of Civil Legal Disciplines Department, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (email@example.com; ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3232-7425)
- Aleksandrova Nadezhda V.
- Candidate of Law Sciences, Associate Professor of Civil and Legal Disciplines Department, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (firstname.lastname@example.org; ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7145-3010)
Timofeeva T., Aleksandrova N. Maintenance Obligations: from Antiquity to the Present Day [Electronic resource] // Oeconomia et Jus. – 2019. – №2. P. 46-52. – URL: http://oecomia-et-jus.ru/en/single/2019/2/6/.