Biliuk A., Goncharova N., Yakushin D.
Regulation of Fitness Industry Activities to Prevent Risk Factor for an End Service Consumer
This article deals with the lack of professional standards for fitness trainers. It analyzes data of foreign studies on the specifics of injuries in fitness clubs, identifies the causes and opportunities for reducing the risk of injury while training in sports and fitness facilities. Reducing the number of injuries caused by overstrain, twisting, rigorous, intense movements is possible due to the presence of a qualified personnel in the gym. The characteristic features of the personnel’s qualification level in the fitness industry in Russia are considered. According to the data of 2017, 21% of employees in state sports institutions do not have an industry-specific education. In commercial organizations, this percentage grows to more than 70. The need to improve the quality of fitness services from the business point of view was identified through consideration of customer retention rates. The specificity of fitness clubs functioning with reference to a particular area, has limitations on the number of potential consumers, therefore customer loyalty has a high significance, which is measured using the retention rate. The article examines foreign experience in regulating fitness industry activities, including introducing the practice of compulsory licensing for fitness trainers. The necessity of introducing regulatory mechanisms in providing fitness services, such as licensing, in Russia is substantiated. Despite the fact that in Russia necessary competences for fitness trainers have already been identified and even programs of higher and specialized secondary education have been formed in this area of professional activity, currently instructors in sports and physical culture do not meet the requirements on their level of education and qualifications, and continue to be the risk factor of injury to the end user. The article used such research methods as description, observation, comparison.
- V OP RF zayavili o neobkhodimosti vvesti professional’nye standarty dlya fitnes-instruktorov [The Public Chamber of Russia declared the need to introduce professional standards for fitness instructors]. ITAR-TASS, 2018, June 6. Available at: https://tass.ru/obschestvo/5354416 (Accessed 20 February 2019).
- Kostoeva V. Deshevo i sportivno: kak Moskvu gotovyat k fitnes-revolyutsii. [Cheap and sporty: how Moscow is being prepared for the fitness revolution.]. RBK, 2017, Feb. 22. Available at: https://Www.Rbc.Ru/Own_Business/22/02/2017/ 58ad85249a79476377663a9c (Accessed 20 February 2019).
- Raz”yasneniya o primenenii natsional’nykh standartov na fitnes-uslugi [Clarification of the application of national standards for fitness services]. Fitness Expert, 2017, Mar. 2. Available at: https://fitnessexpert.com/journal/razyasneniya-o-primenenii-nacionalnyh-standartov-na-fitnes-uslugi (Accessed 20 February 2019).
- Romanova A. Komu nuzhny profstandarty dlya fitnes-industrii [Who needs professional standards for the fitness industry]. Rossiiskaya gazeta – Ekonomika Severo-Zapada [Russian newspaper – Economy of the North-West], 2018, no. 42(7505). Available at: https://rg.ru/2018/ 02/27/reg-szfo/komu-nuzhny-profstandarty-dlia-fitnes-industrii.html (Accessed 20 February 2019).
- Sport dlya umnykh [Sport for smart]. RBK, 2018, no. 5, p. 104–105.
- Fitnes-instruktory dolzhny imet’ profil’noe obrazovanie: profstandart. 22.12.2017 [Fitness instructors should have a specialized education: professional standard]. Sovremennaya nauchno-tekhnologicheskaya akademiya: sait [Modern Science and Technology Academy: site]. Available at: https://www.snta.ru/press-center/fitnes-instruktory-dolzhny-imet-profilnoe-obrazovanie-prof-standart (Accessed 20 February 2019).
- Shestakova E.V. Formirovanie sistemy podgotovki kvalifitsirovannogo personala sfery fitnes-industrii na osnove professional’nogo standarta [Formation of a system for training qualified personnel in the fitness industry based on the professional standard]. Rossiiskoe predprinima-tel’stvo. [Russian Enterprise], 2017, vol. 18, no. 16, pp. 2377–2388.
- Aaron D. Werner Personal Training: Historically Unregulated Occupation with Change on Horizon. The National Law Review, 2017, Jan. 31. Available at: https://www.natlawreview.com/article/personal-training-historically-unregulated-occupation-change-horizon (Accessed 20 February 2019).
- Bedosky L. The future of personal training may be on regulation, certification and integration. Available at: https://www.clubindustry.com/trends/future-personal-training-may-be-regulation-certification-and-integration (Accessed 20 February 2019).
- Gray Sh.E., Finch C.F. The causes of injuries sustained at fitness facilities presenting to Victorian emergency departments – identifying the main culprits. Inj Epidemiol., 2015, vol. 2(1), p. 6. DOI: 10.1186/s40621-015-0037-4. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5005555 (Accessed 20 February 2019).
- Gym J.K. Accident Statistics. Available at: https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/gym-accident-statistics.html (Accessed 20 February 2019).
- National Strength and Conditioning Association. Available at: http://www.nsca-cc.org/nsca-cpt/about.html (Accessed 20 February 2019).
- The Current State of Personal Training: an Industry Perspective of Personal Trainers in a Small Southeast Community. Deana I. Melton, Published in final edited form as. Strength Cond Res., 2008, vol. 22(3), May, pp. 883–889.
- Bilyuk Alina
- hospitality, tourism and sports department undergraduate, G.V. Plekhanov Russian Economic University, Russia, Moscow (firstname.lastname@example.org; )
- Goncharova Natalia
- candidate of economics, hospitality industry, tourism and sport department associate professor, G.V. Plekhanov Russian Economic University, Russia, Moscow (Goncharova.email@example.com; )
- Yakushin Dmitry
- candidate of political sciences, general director, LLC "GSR", Russia, Mytishchi (firstname.lastname@example.org; )
Biliuk A., Goncharova N., Yakushin D. Regulation of Fitness Industry Activities to Prevent Risk Factor for an End Service Consumer [Electronic resource] // Oeconomia et Jus. – 2019. – №2. P. 1-8. – URL: https://oecomia-et-jus.ru/en/single/2019/2/1/.