The Right of Legislative Initiative in the System of Powers of the Russian Federation Constitutional Court
Keywords: the Constitutional Court of the Russian Federation, the right of legislative initiative, the Constitution, legislative process, constitutional reform, legislative initiative, constitutionalism
The article considers the right of legislative initiative of the Constitutional Court of the Russian Federation enshrined in the Constitution of the Russian Federation in the light of amendments made to the Fundamental Law of our state in 2020, as well as subsequent updating of special federal constitutional legislation. It is noted that the problem of practice deficiency in implementing the mentioned power by the Constitutional Court of the Russian Federation is not new for the Russian legal science; in general, it is naturally determined and is due to a number of objective factors. However, the process of updating and developing the constitutional provisions on the supreme judicial control body of Russia and, in particular, creating the system of preliminary judicial constitutional control, bring the problem under consideration to a qualitatively new level. The approach itself in terms of granting the mentioned power to supreme courts in the Russian Federation is characterized as atypical for the countries near and far abroad. At the same time, the current lack of practice in exercising the power in question by the Constitutional Court is due to the special role of the latter in the system of supreme state authorities, in particular, the judiciary. The point of view is expressed that the problem cannot be unambiguously solved at the present stage of the statehood development. The author does not share the increasingly expressed point of view today that the right of legislative initiative should be excluded from the powers of the Constitutional Court of the Russian Federation, since this will lead to a violation of the equality of the constitutional and legal statuses of the two independent supreme judicial authorities. In addition, the shortcomings in the wording of certain constitutional provisions have been identified and possible ways to eliminate them have been proposed.
- Avak’yan S.A. Federal’noe Sobranie – parlament Rossii [Federal Assembly – the Parliament of Russia]. Moscow, Rossiiskii yuridicheskii izdatel’skii dom , 1999, 432 p.
- Vyazovskaya T.N., Evseeva L.A., Zmievskii D.V., Galieva G.V. Predvaritel’nyi konstitutsionnyi sudebnyi kontrol’ v Rossiiskoi Federatsii [Preliminary Constitutional Judicial Control in the Russian Federation]. Vestnik Rossiiskogo universiteta kooperatsii, 2020, no. 3 (41), pp. 103–107.
- Ganicheva E.S. Predely osushchestvleniya prava zakonodatel’noi initsiativy vysshimi organami sudebnoi vlasti [Limits of the exercise of the right of legislative initiative by the highest judicial authorities]. Zhurnal rossiiskogo prava, 2014, no. 11, pp. 131–139.
- Leibo I, ed., Leibo Yu.I. et al. Zakonodatel’nyi protsess v zarubezhnykh stranakh [Legislative process in foreign countries]. Moscow, MGIMO-Universitet Publ., 2012, 172 p.
- Kazantsev A.O. Pravo zakonodatel’noi initsiativy Konstitutsionnogo Suda RF (v kontekste printsipa “nikto ne mozhet byt’ sud’ei v sobstvennom dele”) [The right of legislative initiative of the Constitutional Court of the Russian Federation (in the context of the principle “no one can be a judge in his own case”)]. Lex russica, 2017, no. 2, pp. 26–31.
- Mityukov M.A. Konstitutsionnoe pravosudie na vtorom etape razvitiya (k istoriografii voprosa s pozitsii konstitutsionalista) [Constitutional justice at the second stage of development (to the historiography of the issue from the position of a constitutionalist)]. Konstitutsionnoe i munitsipal’noe parvo, 2020, no. 2, pp. 49–62.
- Mityukov M.A. Konstitutsionnoe pravosudie na vtorom etape razvitiya (k istoriografii voprosa s pozitsii konstitutsionalista). Chast’ 2 [Constitutional justice at the second stage of development (to the historiography of the issue from the position of a constitutionalist). Part 2] [Constitutional and municipal law]. Konstitutsionnoe i munitsipal’noe parvo, 2021, no. 6, pp. 48–60.
- Filippov N.K. Organizatsiya sudebnoi vlasti v stranakh SNG i Baltii: sravnitel’no-pravovoi aspekt [Organization of judicial power in the CIS and Baltic countries: comparative legal aspect]. Rossiiskoe pravosudie, 2010, no. 11(55), pp. 103–106.
- Zmievskii Dmitrii V.
- Candidate of Law Sciences, Associate Professor, Head of the Advocacy Department, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (email@example.com; ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9644-6477)
Zmievskii D.V. The Right of Legislative Initiative in the System of Powers of the Russian Federation Constitutional Court [Electronic resource] // Oeconomia et Jus. – 2021. – №4. P. 46-52. – URL: https://oecomia-et-jus.ru/en/single/2021/4/6/. DOI: 10.47026/2499-9636-2021-4-46-52.