Ivanchin A.V., Silantev S.A.
Offense of the Right to Freedom of Conscience and Religion (Article 148 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation): Features of the Criminal Law Language and Their Impact on Determining the Moment of Crime Termination
The article deals with the subject area of the influence of the criminal law language on determining the moment of the crime termination. The norms of Article 148 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation served as the material for the study, when applying which some problems of this kind manifest themselves. The relevance of the chosen topic is explained by a large-scale poor-quality applying in practice the provisions of Article 148 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation after their amendment in 2013, by violations of the principle of justice associated, among other things, with incorrect determining the moment of the crime termination. The scientific novelty of the work is due to insufficient theoretical development of the topic describing technical and legal features of constructing and applying the norms on crimes against freedom of conscience and religion. The purpose of the study is to analyze the influence of the criminal law language on determining the moment of the crime termination. Based on the materials of judicial practice and the provisions of criminal legal science, the influence of the linguistic design of the dispositions contained in articles of the Special Part of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation on determining the moment of crimes termination, including the possibility of recognizing them as lasting, is shown. The authors expressed the opinion that the law enforcement officer should not only be guided by the letter of the criminal law, but also understand its meaning (spirit), taking into account the essence of the act, the source of its public danger and in which particular act of behavior it is maximally embodied. Based on the above, it is concluded that the crime provided for in Part 1 of Article 148 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation, committed in the form of public placement of materials prohibited by the law, is completed from the moment of the very publicizing the materials (their placement) and is not lasting. The moment of the crime termination provided for in Part 3 of Article 148 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation was also determined – this is the moment when actions (inaction) were committed, regardless of whether the activity of citizens to fulfill their religious needs was disrupted.
- Kruglikov L.L., Spiridonova O.E. Yuridicheskie konstruktsii i simvoly v ugolovnom prave [Juristic structures and symbols in criminal law]. St. Petersburg, Yuridichesky Center Press Publ., 2005, 336 p.
- Postanovlenie mirovogo sud’i sudebnogo uchastka № 5 Zavodskogo raiona g. Orla ot 12 fevralya 2018 g. po delu № 1-7/2018 [The disposition of the magistrate of the judicial district № 5 of Zavodskoi district of Orel dated from February, 12th 2018 on the case № 1-7/2018]. Available at: https://bsr.sudrf.ru/bigs/portal.html#id=f4f55ec07956b776ae4f05a6df8546c1 (Accessed Date 2021, Nov. 13).
- Prigovor Kaluzhskogo oblastnogo suda ot 14 avgusta 2017 g. po delu № 2-9/2017 [The sentence of Kaluga regional court dated from August, 14th 2017 connected with the case № 2-9/2017]. Available at: https://oblsud–klg.sudrf.ru/modules.php?name=sud_delo&srv_num=1&name_op=doc&number=404557&delo_id=1540006&new=0&text_number=1 (Accessed Date 2021, Nov. 13).
- Reshenie Kirovskogo raionnogo suda g. Omska ot 27 aprelya 2018 g. po delu № 12-115/2018 [The disposition of Kirovsky district court of Omsk dated from April, 27th 2018 on the case № 12-115/2018]. Available at: https://kirovcourt–oms.sudrf.ru/modules.php?name=sud_delo&srv_num=1&name_op=doc&number=13151276&delo_id=1502001&new=&text_number=1 (Accessed Date 2021, Nov. 13).
- Silaev S.A. O «netipichnykh» dlyashchikhsya prestupleniyakh [About unusual long-term crimes]. In; Bor’ba s prestupnost’yu: teoriya i praktika: tezisy dokladov ІІІ Mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konfe-rentsii (Mogilev, 20 marta 2015 goda): v 2 ch. [Proc. of 3rd Sci. Conf. «Fight against criminality: theory and practice». 2 parts]. Mogilev, Mogilev Institut MVD Publ., 2015, part 1, pp. 321–323.
- Silant’ev S.A. Kollizii norm ugolovnogo i administrativnogo prava ob otvetstvennosti za oskorblenie religioznykh chuvstv veruyushchikh: prichiny, proyavleniya, puti preodoleniya [Collisons of norms of criminal and administrative law on responsibility for insulting religious feelings of faithful: causes, manifestations, ways to overcome]. Evraziiskoe nauchnoe ob”edinenie, 2020, no. 1-2, pp. 143–147.
- Ivanchin Artem V.
- Doctor of Law Sciences, Associate Professor, Head of the Department of Criminal Law and Criminology, Dean of the Faculty of Law, P.G. Demidov Yaroslavl State University, Russia, Yaroslavl (email@example.com; )
- Silantev Svyatoslav A.
- Post-Graduate Student of the Department of Criminal Law and Criminology, P.G. Demidov Yaroslavl State University, Russia, Yaroslavl (firstname.lastname@example.org; )
Ivanchin A.V., Silantev S.A. Offense of the Right to Freedom of Conscience and Religion (Article 148 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation): Features of the Criminal Law Language and Their Impact on Determining the Moment of Crime Termination [Electronic resource] // Oeconomia et Jus. – 2022. – №1. P. 94-101. – URL: https://oecomia-et-jus.ru/en/single/2022/1/11/. DOI: 10.47026/2499-9636-2022-1-94-101.