Transition to a Single-Level System Municipalities: Consequences for Local Government
Keywords: reforming local self-government, territories of municipalities, levels of local self-government, rural settlements, urban settlements, municipal districts, financing of local budgets, issues of local importance, staffing of municipal employees
In 2022, a large-scale reform of local self-government began: a corresponding bill was submitted to the State Duma. It provides for the embedding of local self-government into a single system of public authority in the Russian Federation, reforming the territories of municipalities and the powers of local self-government. The article examines the problem of transition to a single-level model of local self-government with the rejection of the settlement level, proposed by the legislator. Based on the analysis of the previous experience of municipal construction in the Russian Federation, foreign experience, statistical data, scientific concepts, expert opinions, the necessity of the presence of local governments at the level of settlements, the inadmissibility of liquidating the settlement level of local self-government is proved. The statement is substantiated that all the problems of the settlement level lie not in the organizational, but in the financial plane. The issue of the status of village elders and territorial public self-government bodies is raised in connection with their new powers and the need to increase this status from public amateur bodies to local governments. It is argued that the transfer of powers of local self-government to state authorities will not lead to a more effective solution of issues of local importance, since it will not reduce the costs of solving these issues, will not reduce the number of managerial personnel, but will only change the budget from which these expenses will be carried out, therefore, the solution of the issue - in the redistribution of public finances in favor of local budgets. The necessity of preserving settlements, the need to stop the process of reducing the number of municipalities, based on the geopolitical position of the Russian Federation, is substantiated. Ways of solving personnel and financial issues in order to preserve rural settlements are proposed.
- Valentina Matvienko: «Nuzhno bol’she dokhodov ostavlyat’ v sub’ektakh Federatsii» [Valenina Matvienko: «We need to leave more income in the constituent entities of the Federation»]. Available at: https://www.business-gazeta.ru/news/314269.
- Gunina T.G. Konstitutsionno-pravovoy smysl ponyatiya «uchet mneniya naseleniya» [Constitutional and legal meaning of the concept «taking into account the opinion of the population»]. In the collection: Scientific works. Russian Academy of Legal Sciences. Moscow, 2015, 322–327.
- Zikeyev V.A. Tekhnokratizatsiya mestnogo samoupravleniya [Technocratization of local self-government]. Available at: https://zakon.ru/blog/2021/12/17/tehnokratizaciya_mestnogo_samoupravleniya.
- Nekhaychuk D.V., Nekhaychuk YU.S. Zarubezhnyy opyt optimizatsii defitsita byudzheta munitsipal’nykh obrazovaniy [Foreign experience in optimizing the budget deficit of municipalities]. Innovatsionnaya nauka, 2017, no. 03-1, pp. 197–203.
- Penizev M.V. Reforma mestnogo samoupravleniya 2022. «Ne vse tak gladko v datskom korolevstve» [Local government reform 2022. «Not everything is so smooth in the Danish kingdom»] Available at: https://zakon.ru/blog/2022/01/13/reforma_mestnogo_samoupravleniya_2022_-_voprosy_k_zakonodatelyu.
- Stenogramma Federal’nykh ekspertnykh slushaniy «Ob aktual’nykh voprosakh munitsipal’nogo stroitel’stva i razvitiya zakonodatel’stva v sfere mestnogo samoupravleniya v Rossiyskoy Federatsii» [Transcript of the Federal expert hearings «On topical issues of municipal construction and development of legislation in the field of local self-government in the Russian Federation»]. Available at: http://komitet4.km.duma.gov.ru/Meropriyatiya-s-uchastiem-Komiteta/item/28286279/
- Tablitsa predstavlennykh popravok ko vtoromu chteniyu zakonoproyekta № 40361-8 «Ob obshchikh printsipakh organizatsii mestnogo samoupravleniya v yedinoy sisteme publichnoy vlasti» ot 22.04.2022 g. [Table of the submitted amendments to the second reading of the bill No. 40361-8 «On the general principles of organizing local self-government in a single system of public authority» dated April 22, 2022]. Available at: http://komitet4.km.duma.gov.ru/Zakonodatelnaya-deyatelnost-/Prioritety-zakonotvorcheskoj-deyatelnost/item/28481798.
- Chtoby pomoch’ regionam, nado menyat’ sistemu raspredeleniya nalogovykh dokhodov [To help regions, it is nessesary to change the system of distribution of tax revenues]. Available at: https://finance.rambler.ru/other/44972901/?utm_content=finance_media&utm_medium=read_more&utm_source=copylinkhttps://finance.rambler.ru/other/44972901/?utm_content=finance_media&utm_medium=read_more&utm_source=copylink.
- Gunina Tatiana G.
- Senior Lecturer, Public Law Department, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (firstname.lastname@example.org; )
Gunina T.G. Transition to a Single-Level System Municipalities: Consequences for Local Government [Electronic resource] // Oeconomia et Jus. – 2022. – №2. P. 61-72. – URL: https://oecomia-et-jus.ru/en/single/2022/2/8/. DOI: 10.47026/2499-9636-2022-2-61-72.