Ivanova E.V., Perepelkina N.V., Semenova N.V.
Prenuptial Agreement as a Civil Transaction
Keywords: spouses, prenuptial agreement, property relations, agreement, transaction
Property relations between spouses are always in the focus of close attention of legal scholars. in recent years, the number of married couples using civil law forms of regulating the issues related to personal and conscientiously acquired property during marriage has been increasing. in family law, the legislator established a prenuptial agreement as this form. However, there is still no clear understanding of the legal nature of this agreement between spouses in the scientific literature; that is why the purpose of the work was to analyze the features of a prenuptial agreement as a type of civil law transactions. The main research methods were the private law method and comparative legal analysis. The authors conducted the study of existing theoretical and legal approaches regarding the specifics of a prenuptial agreement. in the scientific literature, there are three approaches to determining the legal nature of this legal fact: civilised, family-legal and mixed. Comparing the signs of transactions defined by the Civil Code of the Russian Federation and the prenuptial agreement as one of them, its essential signs are established. The paper shows that a prenuptial agreement is a bilateral (multilateral) consensual transaction that has a paid or gratuitous nature, carried out in a certain period or indefinitely, dependent or independent of any conditions. The conclusions note that a prenuptial agreement can be recognized as an independent civil transaction and a separate type of contract with a limited parties, the purpose of which is distribution of property interests between spouses. The conclusions note that the marriage contract can be recognized as an independent civil transaction and a separate type of contract with a limited subject composition, the purpose of which is the distribution of property interests between spouses.
- Antokol’skaya M.V. Semeinoe pravo: uchebnik. 2-e izd., pererab. i dop. [Family Law. 2nd ed.]. Moscow, Yurist Publ., 2002, 336 p.
- Braginskii M.I., Vitryanskii V.V. Dogovornoe pravo: obshchie polozheniya [Contract law: General Provisions]. Moscow, Statut Publ., 2020, 845 p.
- Demin A.A. Dogovor i soglashenie: sootnoshenie ponyatii [Contract and agreement: correlation of concepts]. Vestnik Volzhskogo universiteta im. V.N. Tatishcheva, 2013, no. 2(78), pp. 25–34.
- Ivanushkina E.S., Serebryakova A.A. Brachnyi dogovor kak instrument regulirovaniya semeinykh imushchestvennykh otnoshenii [Marriage contract as a tool for regulating family property relations]. Pravo i gosudarstvo: teoriya i praktika, 2021, no. 4(196), pp. 86–89.
- Maksimovich L.B. Brachnyi dogovor v rossiiskom prave [Prenuptial agreement in Russian law]. Moscow, Os’-89 Publ., 2003, 144 p.
- Pchelintseva L.M. Semeinoe pravo Rossii [Family Law of Russia]. Moscow, Norma, INFRA-M Publ., 1999, 663 p.
- Filippova T.A., Titarenko E.P., Darkhambaeva A.D. Pravovaya priroda semeino-pravovykh soglashenii i ikh mesto v sisteme yuridicheskikh faktov [The legal nature of family law agreements and their place in the system of legal facts]. Rossiisko-aziatskii pravovoi zhurnal, 2021, no. 1, pp. 42–48.
- Chashkova S.Yu. Konkurentsiya semeino-pravovykh dogovorov i mediativnykh soglashenii, napravlennykh na regulirovanie semeino-pravovykh sporov [Competition of family law contracts and mediation agreements aimed at regulating family law disputes]. Lex russica, 2022, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 50–62.
- Shelyutto M.L. Glava 13 «Sudebnaya praktika i semeinoe pravo» [Chapter 13 «Judicial practice and family law»]. In: Khabrieva T.Ya., Lazareva V.V. Sudebnaya praktika v sovremennoi pravovoi sisteme Rossii [Judicial practice in the modern legal system of Russia]. Moscow, Norma Publ., 2017, pp. 226–241.
- Rainer H. Should we write prenuptial contracts? European Economic Review, 2007, vol. 51, iss. 2, pp. 337–363.
- Ivanova Elena V.
- Candidate of Law Sciences, Associate Professor, Dean of the Law Faculty, Head of Civil Legal Disciplines Department, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (firstname.lastname@example.org; ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4621-5141)
- Perepelkina Natalia V.
- Candidate of Law Sciences, Associate Professor, Department of Civil Law and Procedure, P.A. Stolypin Volga Institute of Management of the RANEPA under the President of the Russian Federation, Russia, Saratov (email@example.com; )
- Semenova Nadezhda V.
- Candidate of Biological Sciences, Associate Professor, Department of Civil Law Disciplines, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (firstname.lastname@example.org; ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5369-5131)
Ivanova E.V., Perepelkina N.V., Semenova N.V. Prenuptial Agreement as a Civil Transaction [Electronic resource] // Oeconomia et Jus. – 2022. – №4. P. 57-62. – URL: https://oecomia-et-jus.ru/en/single/2022/4/8/. DOI: 10.47026/2499-9636-2022-4-57-62.