Impact of Sanctions for the Development of Oil Producing Countries
Keywords: sanctions, fiscal policy, monetary policy, inflation, exchange rate, government expenditures
The purpose of this study is to assess the prospects for the functioning of the Russian economy in the context of the imposed sanctions based on a generalization of international experience. Materials and methods. The main methods were a comparative analysis of the development of countries under sanctions restrictions and a retrospective analysis of the formation of oil and gas revenues in the Russian Federation. Results. Using the example of Iran, it has been established that a high share of oil and gas budget revenues and a favorable oil price environment allows maintaining the existing economic model, however, the tightening of sanctions is gradually having a more negative impact on the welfare of the population in Iran, as well as on the state of the country's budget. The paper also examines the measures taken by the Bank of Russia in 2022 in order to ensure the stability of the country's financial system; it was found that the impact of sanctions was largely delayed due to the focus of the European Union on the priority satisfaction of its own energy needs. Conclusions. The main result of the study is the position that in assessing the effect of sanctions on the development of oil-producing countries, it is necessary to assess the equivalence between import and export restrictions in order to further assess the private effects on the welfare of the population and budget losses. The stabilization of the exchange rate allows the Russian government to lock in inflation expectations for the moment and support consumption, but this comes at the expense of financial suppression of domestic development instruments. The consequences of such decisions in the medium term may be the fall of the ruble and further weakening of the ability to finance public spending.
- Arkadeva O.G., Berezina N.V. Vliyanie «yadra» dokhodov regional’nykh byudzhetov na stressoustoichivost’ sotsial’no-ekonomicheskikh podsistem [Influence of the “core” of regional budget revenues on the stress resistance of socio-economic subsystems]. Aktual’nye problemy ekonomiki i prava, 2021, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 15–30. DOI 10.21202/1993-047X.15.2021.1.15-30.
- Arkadeva O.G., Berezina N.V. Antiinflyatsionnoe regulirovanie v usloviyakh vozdeistviya global’nykh trendov [Anti-inflationary regulation under the influence of global trends]. Vestnik Surgutskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta, 2022, no. 4(38), pp. 7–7. DOI: 10.34822/2312-3419-2022-4-7-17.
- Informatsiya o dopolnitel’nykh neftegazovykh dokhodakh federal’nogo byudzheta [Information on additional oil and gas revenues of the federal budget]. Ministry of Finance of the Russian Federation. Available at: https://minfin. gov.ru/ru/statistics/fedbud/oil/ (Access Date: 2023, March 7).
- Kolesnikova A. Defitsit byudzheta udivlyaet, no poka ne pugaet [The budget deficit surprises, but so far does not frighten]. Available at: https://www.finam.ru/publications/item/defitsit-byudzheta-udivlyaet-no-poka-ne-pugaet-20230207-1620/?utm_source=morning_revi&utm_medium=new&utm_content=08.02.2023&utm_campaign=all_morning (Access Date: 2023, March 7).
- O chem govoryat trendy. Makroekonomika i rynki [What do the trends say. Macroeconomics and Markets]. In: Byulleten’ Departamenta issledovanii i prognozirovaniya Banka Rosii [Bulletin of the Research and Forecasting Department of the Bank of Russia], 2023, no. 1(60), Jan. Available at: https://cbr.ru/Collection/Collection/File/43700/bulletin_23-01.pdf (Access Date: 2023, March 7).
- Dooley M.P., Landau D.F., Garber P.M. US Sanctions Reinforce the Dollar’s Dominance. Open Economies Review, 2022, vol. 33(5), pp. 817–823.
- Gharibnavaz R., Waschik R. A computable general equilibrium model of international sanctions in Iran. The World Economy, 2017, vol. 41(1), pp. 287–307. DOI: 10.1111/twec.12528.
- Itskhoki O., Mukhin D. Sanctions and the Exchange Rate. Intereconomics, 2022, vol. 57, pp. 148–151. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10272-022-1050-9.
- Letzler B. The Economic Weapon: The Rise of Sanctions as a Tool of Modern War. Journal of International Economic Law, 2022, vol. 25, iss. 4, pp. 703–707. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/jiel/jgac039.
- OPEC Annual Statistical Bulletin. Available at: https://www.opec.org/opec_web/en/publications/202.htm (Access Date: 2023, March 7).
- Arkadeva Olga G.
- Candidate of Economics, Associate Professor, Department of Finance, Credit and Economic Security, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (email@example.com; ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-4868-2365)
Arkadeva O.G. Impact of Sanctions for the Development of Oil Producing Countries [Electronic resource] // Oeconomia et Jus. – 2023. – №1. P. 1-8. – URL: https://oecomia-et-jus.ru/en/single/2023/1/1/. DOI: 10.47026/2499-9636-2023-1-1-8.