Tumalanov N.V., Urusova I.N., Antonovskaya E.A.
Improving approaches to assessing the country's food security
Changes that have taken place in recent years in production, sale, market circulation, quality of food consumption give relevance to the problem of assessing the society's food security, the country's food independence and forming a high – quality food market. For this reason the purpose of the study was to justify the need for changes in the principles and rules for assessing the country's food security. It is proposed that its definition took into account the quality of food, the volume of exports and imports, the indicator of the country's comparative advantage in external exchange. During the study, the reasons for veiling the food quality and its safety were revealed, non-objectivity of determining the state of food security was substantiated, the advantages of the new approach on more objective evaluation criteria are proved and basic indicators reflecting the qualitative advantages of the new methodology in assessing food security are proposed. The problem of food quality and its assessment exists and is worsening. The novelty achieved in the study process is the rationale for the need to take into account food quality indicators of all major types, calculate food security and independence, applying for this the proposed formula for indexing the comparative advantage. In today's economy, conditions have developed when it is necessary to assess the level of food security in the society more orderly and comprehensively. To do so, the criteria laid down by international organizations must be applied. High-quality food is noted to include not only organic products, but sparing mode products as well, that is products to produce which mineral fertilizers were used in compliance with all norms and rules. Producers must preserve and protect the environment. Many authors note that government structures should pay more attention to the formation and regulation of the high quality food market segment.
- Belikova M.P. Statisticheskoe issledovanie prodovol’stvennoi bezopasnosti Rossiiskoi Federatsii v usloviyakh globalizatsii: dis. … kand. ekon. nauk [Statistical study of food security of the Russian Federation in conditions of globalization. Cand. Diss.]. Moscow, 2019, 159 p.
- Grant R. Sovremennyi strategicheskii analiz [Contemporary Strategic Analysis]. St. Petersburg, Piter Publ., 2008, 560 p.
- Lomakin P.N. Obespechenie prodovol’stvennoi bezopasnosti Rossii: vnutrennie i mezhdunarodnye aspekty: dis. … kand. ekon. nauk [Ensuring Russia’s food security: domestic and international aspects. Cand. Diss.]. Moscow, 2017.
- Stukalo O.G., Tekut’eva Yu.A. Funktsional’nye produkty pitaniya kak sposob ukrepleniya prodovol’stvennoi bezopasnosti regiona [Functional products as a way to strengthen food security in the region]. Vestnik Voronezhskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta inzhenernykh tekhnologii, 2017, no. 4.
- Tumalanov N.V. Formirovanie uslovii mezhotraslevogo obmena v natsional’noi ekonomike [Formation of conditions for intersectoral exchange in the national economy]. Cheboksary, Chuvash State Univesity Publ., 2011, 122 p.
- Flyaisher K., Bensussan B. Strategicheskii i konkurentnyi analiz [Strategic and Competitive Analysis]. Moscow, Binom Publ., 2005, 541 p.
- Shagaida N.I., Uzun V.Ya. Prodovol’stvennaya bezopasnost’: problemy otsenki [Food security: problems of assessment]. Voprosy ekonomiki, 2015, no. 5, pp. 63–78.
- World Development Report 2008: Agriculture for Development, Vsemirnyi bank Publ., 2008. 424 p. (Russ. ed.: Doklad o mirovom razvitii 2008: Sel’skoe khozyaistvo na sluzhbe razvitiya / Vsemirnyi bank. Moscow: Ves’ Mir Publ., 2008, 424 p.).
- Doktrina prodovol’stvennoi bezopasnosti Rossiiskoi Federatsii: utv. Ukazom Prezidenta RF ot 21 yanvarya 2020 g. № 20 [Doctrine of Food Security of the Russian Federation No. 20 of January 21]. Available at: http://kremlin.ru/acts/bank/45106.
- Gibson M. The Feeding of Nations: Redefining Food Security for the 21st CRC Press, 2012, 684 p.
- Moyer R. Forecasting turning points. Business Horizons, 1981, vol. 24(4), pp. 57–61.
- Tumalanov N.V., Urusova I.N., Morozova N.V., Sokolova G.N., Ivanitskaya I.P., An-tonovskaya E.A. Formation Conditions of High Quality Food Market Segments in the Region. Inter-national Journal of Applied Exercise Physiology, 2019, vol. 8, no. 2.1, pp. 364-372.
- Tumalanov N.V., Urusova I.N., Morozova N.V., Sokolova G.N., Ivanitskaya I.P., An-tonovskaya E.A. High Quality Food Market Segments and Conditions of Its Formation in the Region. EurAsian Journal of BioSciences, 2019, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 1575–1580.
- Tumalanov Nikolay V.
- Doctor of Economics Sciences, Professor, Department of State and Municipal Administration and Regional Economy, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (firstname.lastname@example.org; )
- Urusova Irina N.
- Candidate of Economic Sciences, Associate Professor, Deputy Head of the Department of Research, Department of State and Municipal Administration and Regional Economy, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (email@example.com; )
- Antonovskaya Elena A.
- Candidate of Economic Sciences, Associate Professor of the Department of State and Municipal Administration and Regional Economics, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (firstname.lastname@example.org; ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7092-8427)
Tumalanov N.V., Urusova I.N., Antonovskaya E.A. Improving approaches to assessing the country’s food security [Electronic resource] // Oeconomia et Jus. – 2020. – №4. P. 40-48. – URL: https://oecomia-et-jus.ru/en/single/2020/4/6/. DOI: 10.47026/2499-9636-2020-4-40-48.